Saturday, July 23, 2011

Science, Art, and Food

I have always loved photography. There is something about catching what's real in a moment of time that tells us something.

I have also always loved art that brings together different disciplines. That's what Caren Alpert does with her photography. And that tells us something too.

What’s in our food?

What’s the difference between a bird’s-eye view of a remote vegetable crop and a microscopic swath from a pineapple leaf? How distinct is a pile of table salt from miles and miles of icebergs?

As a food lover and a photographer I answer these questions visually. Using scientific laboratory photo equipment, I journey over the surfaces of both organic and processed foods: my own favorites and America’s over-indulgences. The closer the lens got, the more I saw food and consumers of food (all of us!) as part of a larger eco-system than mere sustenance.


Pineapple Leaf


Table Salt


Brussel Sprout


Sun Dried Tomato


Shrimp Tail


Cake Sprinkles

If you'd like to see more, go to Caren's website that I linked to up above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why Christian nationalists fear freedom

For years now a lot of us have been trying to understand why white evangelical voters remain so loyal to Donald Trump. I believe that the an...